Are we at an information abundance and overloading age? How would PLE help us in sorting out and evaluating information throughout the networks? How is knowledge constructed with PLE?
Rita in her Information abundance leads to restricted depth raised many good points:
1. Problems with information abundance and attention economy
2. Changes in thinking process
3. Feasibility of individuals to think critically
4. Importance of reflective judgement
5. Importance of information literacy
6. Advantages of information abundance – a change of our search strategies from looking something up, to incorporating web-searching into thinking and reflection processes in order to enable a fruitful investigation.
7. PLEs that could enhance searches to be relevant to the needs of learners and increase depth of reflection and thinking.
That stimulated me to ask:
1. How far would PLE assist in consolidating the above points for individual learning?
2. “If people do not have access to a robust conceptual framework developed over time with the help of knowledgeable others, they might have problems constructing knowledge.” What sort of robust conceptual framework would be important or ideal in PLE? Would such framework be based on a social constructivist or a connectivist approach, or a combination of them?
3. How would the development of critical literacies impact on PLE?
4. How effective is PLE in solving the information abundance problem as compared to VLE?
5. How would one evaluate a PLE? What are the evaluation criteria of a successful PLE?
Thanks again for making me think.